Star United Methodist Church
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Living & Loving Like Christ

Who We Are

The Methodist Episcopal Church South was formed in 1845.  In 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church, The Methodist Episcopal Church South, and the Methodist Protestant Church were united.
In 1968, The United Methodist Church was formed from the major Methodist Church organizations and the 1946 union of the Evangelical and United Brethren Churches.
1860'S -Records of the first organization of Star Methodist Church were lost, but the date was around the time of the Civil War or during the early 1860's.  It was called "Bethlehem."  The building, which housed this congregation, was built of logs with a large fireplace in one end.  seats were reserved in the rear for the African Americans who came to worship since there were no other churches in the vicinity.  The church was located about one and one-half miles west of Star off the Old Salisbury road to the right of Okeewemee Road.  In the early years of this church, Circuit Riders served as ministers as they did in all Methodist churches.  one of the early known ministers was Reverend Make Hurley.  The body of the Rev. Hurley was placed in the cemetery of the present Star United Methodist Church.
1885 - The members of Bethlehem Church had decided to move their church to the little village nearby called "Hunsucker's Store" later to become Star.  This second church building was a one-room wood building located where the present brick church now stands.  It served the congregation for approximately 39 years.  When the present brick structure was built, this wooden building was moved on Hwy 220 North across from Montgomery Hosiery Mill.
1898 - A group of ladies of the church met with Mrs. Emma Page of Aberdeen and organized the first Women's Missionary Society in Montgomery County.
1921 - A Christian Endeavor Society was organized for the teenagers of all the churches in the community by O.L.Keener and his wife.  Mr. Keener was principal of the Country Life Academy School.  The organization served the youth of the churches until an Epworth League was organized in the Star Church.  In 1940, the name of the group was changed to Methodist Youth Fellowship.  We now have a Junior and Senior Youth Fellowship.
1923 - The membership realized that they had outgrown the 1885 building.  They began planning for a new brick structure completed in 1924.
1924 - The present day sanctuary and ten small classrooms were completed.
1930 - Acquired the school bell from the "Country Life Academy School"
1930 - Restrooms were placed in the church.
1947 - The first nursery was added; it occupied the present choir room.
1950 - Several large pine trees were removed from the cemetery.
1954 - The brick educational building was completed with a fellowship hall, kitchen, nursery, six classrooms and the pastors study.
1954 - The Methodist Men's Club was organized and has been a great asset to the church as well as the community.
1959 - Star Methodist Church was no longer on a charge with Biscoe and Candor but was now a "Station Church."
1959 - Work on the present parsonage was begun and completed in 1960.
1964 - The W.L. Monroe Scholarship Award was established by W.L. Monroe of Atlanta, Georgia.  The award is given each year to a young man and a young lady of the senior class. 
Chuch Logo
Star UMC's Mission Statement
Our mission is to make Disciples of Christ by being a guiding light in our community, serving those around us, and offering Christ to all.

Listen to commercial-free worship music brought to you by